The Golf Academy provides an introduction to the game of golf along with instruction to improve current skills. Our goal is to prepare junior golfers with the proper knowledge and tools to use the BWRC golf facilities on their own. The Bretton Woods Junior Golf Academy teaches life lessons of honor, integrity, etiquette and good sportsmanship as integral parts of the game.
Bretton Woods Golf Professionals have adopted the US KIDS structure and methodology for developing our juniors into the game of golf. In a nutshell, everything from the clubs to the course is scaled to size. The US KIDS program has 3 distinct junior levels; Blue-beginner, Yellow-Intermediate and Red-Advanced. Program levels are structured with drills, rules and etiquette, playing ability and tracking progress on an individual basis. All of our 2017 programs will follow a progressive level of instruction.
Daily activities include morning clinics and individual instruction on full swings, short game, and putting, followed by lunch. After lunch, we have a break period and take the juniors to the pool. Afternoons consist of etiquette lessons, rules of the course, and on course play and instruction. Each session ends with a skills challenge allowing the kids to showcase what they have learned.
Cost & Registration
|Session||Dates||Days||Level||Member Rate*||Non-Member Rate*|
|1||June 18 - June 22||5||All Skill Levels||$500||$600|
|2||June 25 - June 29||5||All Skill Levels||$500||$600|
|4||July 9 - July 13||5||All Skill Levels||$500||$600|
|5||July 16 - July 20||5||All Skill Levels||$500||$600|
|6||July 23 - July 27||5||All Skill Levels||$500||$600|
|8||Aug 6 - Aug 10||5||All Skill Levels||$500||$600|
|9||Aug 13 - Aug 17||5||All Skill Levels||$500||$600|
**Bus service is available for an additional $75. Rates include US KIDS program materials.
Before & After Care
- Drop Off begins as early as 7:30 A.M and Pick up as late as 6 P.M.
- M-F A.M. only - $100 (Cereal Included)
- M-F P.M. only - $75
- Both A.M. and P.M. - $160
Transport & Bus Schedule
Morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up time is 9:45 am and 4:00 pm respectively at the Golf Shop located on the lower level in the Main Clubhouse. There is a 30 minute grace period until 4:30 pm for pick-ups. After this time you will be charged a fee. All children being picked up must be signed out. If special drop off or pick up arrangements are needed, please contact the Golf Professional no later than noon that day.
The academy bus begins its route from the IMF to BWRC and has several stops along River Road. See schedule for locations and times. It is advisable to be at least 10 minutes early to the bus stop for both pick-up and drop off. The driver cannot wait beyond the scheduled pick-up time. The bus will stop at all the regular bus stops. Juniors must be met by an adult when dropped off. If no one is waiting for your junior, he/she will be taken to the IMF. It will then be your responsibility to pick him/her up. For all juniors arriving at the IMF, pickup by parents must be made by 5:55 pm or you will be charged an additional fee for daycare.
If the bus is significantly delayed, call the BWRC camp office at 301-948-3357 x 1319
If a permanent change is to be made to your juniorís bus stop, please notify the camp office in writing. If the change is for one day only, please notify us in writing or email by noon the day of the requested change. If arrangements are made for your child to be left at a different stop at the end of the day, please be aware that he/she must be met by an adult.
Bretton Woods Camp Bus Schedule
|Stop #||AM Departure||Location||PM Arrival|
|1||8:15||IMF Ė 19th Street entrance||5:45|
|2||8:30||Reno and Tilden Street||5:25|
|3||8:40||4101 Yuma Street (front of Oakcrest School)||5:15|
|4||8:45||River Road and Garrison Street||5:12|
|5||8:50||River Road and Willard Avenue||5:10|
|6||8:53||River Road at entrance of Kenwood Country Club||AM ONLY|
|6||PM ONLY||River Road and 4th Street (Presbyterian Church)*||5:05|
|7||8:55||River Road and Pyle Access (across from Braeburn Parkway)||AM ONLY|
|7||PM ONLY||River Road and Orkney Parkway||5:00|
|8||9:00||River Road and Cabin John Fire Station||4:55|
|9||9:10||River Road and Counselman Road (Potomac Shopping Center)||AM ONLY|
|9||PM ONLY||River Road and Potomac Shopping Center (gazebo)||4:50|
|9:30||Arrival/Departure Bretton Woods||4:30|
*Note: The 4th Street Presbyterian Church drop off point will be at the steps leading from River Road up to the church parking lot.
Health & Safety
The State has new regulations for camper health history. The new form does not require a tetanus shot date or Immunization forms for campers who live in the United States, a United States Territory or the District of Columbia. For campers who live outside these areas immunization records are still required. All forms must be mailed in or delivered to BWRC.
- All allergies and other important medical information must be reported on the camper health history form. A registered nurse will review all medical information and disseminate the information to the Camp Director and staff.
- Please note that on most days campers are outdoors all day. However, in the event of inclement weather there are two storm centers available to the campers. If there is a rain storm with winds less than 15 miles per hour, the campers are moved to the picnic pavilion. If there is a rainstorm with winds above 15 miles per hour, the campers are taken to the Southard Room in the clubhouse. The golf course is equipped with an early warning device in case of lightening.
- On days of severe heat (code red) all physical activity is kept to a minimum and the afternoon activities are moved to an air-conditioned area.
- To ensure the safety of our campers, the Camp Director and General Manager reserve the right to set behavioral rules and standards for campers to follow. Those who endanger themselves or others by their persistent misbehavior may be dismissed from camp.
What to Bring (and what not to)
Each new golfer will need his/her own clubs and bag which can be obtained from Bretton Woods for a nominal cost. Please see one of our Golf Professionals for sizing and allow several weeks for delivery. US Kids golf program materials are included.
What your child will need:
- Golf clubs with a golf bag. If your child does not have golf clubs in a golf bag you may purchase them at the golf shop. Please, let us know as soon as possible so that we can order the correct size. Allow several weeks for delivery.
- Golf shirt with collar
- Golf Shorts or Pants with pockets (no gym or basketball)
- Hat or Visor
- Golf or tennis shoes
- Pool bag with Swimwear
- Water bottle
- Focus and Energy
What your child may not bring:
- Electronic devices
- Game boys
- Media players, etc.
- Toys such as soccer balls, Frisbees, etc.
- If itís not for golf, donít bring it.
- All items must be tagged with your childís name.
Note: Parents, your childís clothing and headwear need to be light in color as darker colors absorb heat.
Lunch and Snacks
The camp provides lunch for all campers on a daily basis. Campers are also provided with a snack before departure every day. The lunch menu includes a main course, salad, vegetable, dessert and drink. The snack includes a fruit and an additional snack item like popcorn, pretzels or a cheese stick. Please do not let children bring their own food to camp as there are many children with allergies. If you have questions or would like an exception please contact the Camp Director. The camp does not provide refrigeration. If your child is given permission to bring lunch you must include a Cold Pack. We are a nut-free camp due to severe nut allergies. Do not pack or send food that contains nuts or nut products and is not made on equipment that processes nuts.