The Summer Day Camp is the most traditional of camps at Bretton Woods. Day camp is for children ages 5-12 with a Counselor in Training (CIT) program for campers ages 13-15. Campers spend their days playing field games, doing arts and crafts projects, learning group songs and games, and swimming under the guidance of experienced staff. Swim lessons are included in the cost of camp and a swim test is required for all campers each week in order to participate in free swim. Optional tennis lessons or soccer lessons are available.
Camp Dates & Registration
Camp hours are from 9:30 am - 4:30 pm.
|1||June 17 - June 21|
|2||June 24 - June 28|
|3||July 1 - July 5 (Camp is held all 5 days)|
|4||July 8 - July 12|
|5||July 15 - July 19|
|6||July 22 - July 26|
|7||July 29 - Aug 02|
|8||Aug 5 - Aug 9|
|9||Aug 12 - Aug 16|
|10||Aug 19 - Aug 23|
Cost Per Week
Member rate: $300
Non-Member rate: $400
Bus service is available for an additional $80 per week.
Before & After Care at Bretton Woods
- Drop Off begins as early as 7:30 A.M and Pick up as late as 6 P.M. Before and After Care are held in the Clubhouse Southard Room.
- M-F A.M. only - $100 (Cereal Included)
- M-F P.M. only - $75
- Both A.M. and P.M. - $160
The CIT program is designed to encourage campers ages 13-15 to begin the transition from camper to counselor. CIT’s are either assigned a group or an activity to help with during the week to assist counselors and campers in activities and transition times. CIT’s are encouraged but not required to participate in swim lessons and do not have responsibilities during free swim so they can enjoy the pool time.
CIT’s are required to submit the same forms as other campers. Please select "yes" when asked about being a CIT in the questions section during the enrollment process. In addition, they must write a letter at least two paragraphs in length and upload it to the Forms tab on the Parent Dashboard. The letter must answer the following questions:
- Tell us about someone who has been a leader and role model for you in your life.
- What are specific traits he/she has that you feel make him/her a strong leader?
- What are some ways you feel you would be a good leader and role model for campers?
- What are you most excited for about summer camp?
Swim Lessons. FREE!
We take our swim safety very seriously at Camp Bretton Woods. Swim lessons are included free of charge and are mandatory for your child’s safety. Swim lessons are held in the morning for ˝ hour. Children are organized into small groups by swim ability. Each camper will have a mandatory swim evaluation given by the lifeguards to determine their ability. This evaluation will also determine which areas of the pool they may use during free swim. During lessons and free swim, lifeguards and counselors are at posts around the pool scanning the water. Non-swimmers and those who are evaluated at the beginner level stay in the mushroom area of our pool, which is 2 feet deep. Moderate swimmers have access to the full range of the pool and the slide, but may not use the diving boards and well. Advanced swimmers can use the entirety of the swimming pool including the diving boards and well. Each swim ability level is identified by a different colored bracelet. As swimming skills progress, campers have the opportunity to be reevaluated at the beginning of each session.
Sports Lessons (Tennis OR Soccer), $25 per week for members /$30 per week for non-members
Tennis or soccer lessons are offered to campers for an additional $25 per session for members and $30 per session for non-members. Lessons are held Monday-Thursday for ˝ hour. If weather affects the lesson schedule, lessons are generally made up on Friday.
Tennis shoes are required for tennis lessons. Campers can bring their own racquet if they choose, but please ensure that it is clearly marked with tier name. Racquets are provided for campers who do not have their own or who forget their racquet.
Close-toed sneakers are required for soccer lessons, but soccer cleats are not necessary. Soccer balls are provided. Lessons are offered by the Bruce Murray Soccer Academy.
Archery, Ages 10 & up only. FREE!
Archery is available for children ages 10 and up and is free of charge. Bretton Woods will offer Basic Archery for some sessions in the afternoon for an hour. Archery instructors are trained in archery, archery-specific safety, and COMAR state regulations and safety standards. If you would like to sign your child up for archery please fill out the “2016 Archery Permission Form” under the forms section on the Parent Dashboard. Archery is generally held on Mondays and Wednesdays. If weather affects the normally scheduled archery time, rescheduling of lessons is based on instructor availability.
Transport & Bus Schedule
Morning drop off time is 9:30 am at the picnic pavilion near the tennis courts. Pick-up time begins at 4:15 pm at the swimming pool (in the case of inclement weather, drop-off or pick-up may be moved to the clubhouse). There is a 30 minute grace period until 4:45 pm for pick-ups. After this time you will be charged a fee for additional daycare. All children being picked up must be signed out.
If special drop off or pick up arrangements are needed, please contact the camp staff no later than noon that day.
The bus begins its route from the IMF to BWRC and has several stops along River Road. See the schedule for locations and times. It is advisable to be at least 10 minutes early to the bus stop for both pick-up and drop off. The driver cannot wait beyond the scheduled pick-up time. The bus will stop at all the regular bus stops.
Juniors must be met by an adult when dropped off. If no one is waiting for your junior, he/she will be taken to the IMF. It will then be your responsibility to pick him/her up. For all juniors arriving at the IMF, pick-up by parents must be made by 5:55 pm or you will be charged an additional fee for daycare.
If the bus is significantly delayed, call the BWRC camp office at 301-948-3357 x 1319. If a permanent change is to be made to your junior’s bus stop, please notify the camp office in writing. If the change is for one day only, please notify us in writing or email by noon the day of the requested change. If arrangements are made for your child to be left at a different stop at the end of the day, please be aware that he/she must be met by an adult.
|BRETTON WOODS CAMP BUS SCHEDULE|
|To BWRC||LOCATION OF|
PICK-UP OR DROP-OFF
|STOP #||AM Departure||PM Arrival|
|1||8:15||IMF – 19th Street entrance||5:45|
|2||8:30||Reno and Tilden Street||5:25|
|3||8:40||4101 Yuma Street (front of Oakcrest School)||5:15|
|4||8:45||River Road and Garrison Street||5:12|
|5||8:50||River Road and Willard Avenue||5:10|
|6||8:53||River Road at entrance of Kenwood Country Club||AM ONLY|
|6||PM ONLY||River Road and 4th Street (Presbyterian Church)*||5:05|
|7||8:55||River Road and Pyle Access (across from Braeburn Parkway)||AM ONLY|
|7||PM ONLY||River Road and Orkney Parkway||5:00|
|8||9:00||River Road and Cabin John Fire Station||4:55|
|9||9:10||River Road and Counselman Road (Potomac Shopping Center)||AM ONLY|
|9||PM ONLY||River Road and Potomac Shopping Center (gazebo)||4:50|
|9:30||Arrival/Departure Bretton Woods||4:30|
|*Note: The 4th Street Presbyterian Church drop off point will be at the steps leading from River Road up to the church parking lot.|
Health & Safety
- Campers who carry emergency medication due to allergies or asthma MUST have the appropriate and current documents submitted before camp begins. These forms (2018 Medication Administration Authorization AND 2018 Allergy Action Plan) can be found on the Parent Dashboard on Campsite under the “Forms” section.
- All allergies and other important medical information MUST be reported on the camper health history. A registered nurse will review all medical information and disseminate the information to the Camp Director and staff.
- The State has new regulations for camper health history. The new form does not require a tetanus shot date or Immunization forms for campers who live in the United States or a United States Territory. For campers who live outside these areas immunization records are still required. All forms can be uploaded on the Parent Dashboard on Campsite under the “Forms” section.
- Please note that on most days campers are outdoors all day. However, in the event of inclement weather there are two storm centers available to the campers. If there is a rain storm with winds less than 15 miles per hour, the campers are moved to the picnic pavilion. If there is a rainstorm with winds above 15 miles per hour, the campers are taken to the Southard Room in the clubhouse. The golf course is equipped with an early warning device in case of lightning.
- On days of severe heat (code red) all physical activity is kept to a minimum and the afternoon activities are moved to an air-conditioned area.
- To ensure the safety of our campers, the Camp Director and General Manager reserve the right to set behavioral rules and standards for campers to follow. Those who endanger themselves or others by their persistent misbehavior may be dismissed from camp.
What to Bring
Lunch and Snacks
The camp provides lunch for all campers on a daily basis. The lunch menu includes a main course, salad, vegetable or fruit, and dessert. Campers are also provided with a snack before departure every day. The snack includes a fruit or snack item like popcorn, pretzels, or a cheese stick. Please do not let children bring their own food to camp as there are many children with allergies. If you have questions or would like an exception please contact the Camp Director. The camp does not provide refrigeration. Do not pack or send food that contains nuts or nut products and is not made on equipment that processes nuts. While our camp does not serve food that contains nuts, the Bretton Woods kitchen is not a not-free facility.
What should my camper bring?
- Water bottle
- Bathing suit
- Sneakers and water shoes
- Change of clothes
- Backpack that holds all belongings
What should my camper NOT bring?
All cancellations are subject to a 5% administrative fee (calculated using the total refund amount). Cancellations received after May 31 will also incur a $100 cancellation fee per child per session.